Friday, January 13

Sportsmanship and Weaning

Today, I took DS to a homeschool group game day. It went pretty well, although I think I might have had more fun that he did. He is at that stage where he wants to make all the rules. He hates the fact that he can’t always win and wants to change the rules if it doesn’t look like he’s going to win. It’s frustrating for me, just because you so don’t want to think that your child is going to grow up to be a spoiled little boy that doesn’t realize that what’s important is spending time together and not winning. It’s hard to explain to him that yeah, we all like to win, but it’s okay not to.

I try to comfort myself that it’s just a stage and try to keep reinforcing how I feel about it, but I never know if I’m doing the right thing or giving the right feedback. I guess that’s how parenthood is. You never know until they’re older how they are going to turn out. You just do the best you can.

Like breastfeeding. DS reached a major milestone this month. He weaned on January 1. He set the date after we talked about it in late November. He was not at all traumatized, which told me that he was really finally ready. He also hasn’t been needy or clingy, another good sign.

I still enjoyed nursing him, but I really could take it or leave it, and some other factors made me test out the waters with him to judge if he was ready, and it seemed he was. Immediately after we discussed it, he started going days between nursings. He stopped on the agreed-on date, and we even got some cute pictures of his last nursie. I’m glad I’ll have that to remember.

Now he’s holding me up to the weaning party I promised him (with ice cream cake)! We’re planning a small thing with a few friends. Should be fun!

No comments: